ADV Reflection Essay:
My contribution to this project was co-writer, co-storyboard artist, lighting, actor, editor. Over this last semester I have been very busy with my final major assignment so I found it very hard to make time for both the planning and post production phases of this production but I did try my best to stay involved in the production as much as I could. This involved taking
Description of shot requirements:
We had a lot of closeup and tight shots in our film and this meant ensuring that focus and stability was perfect in order to get shots that were usable. We also had to replicate the drap lighting of a tired workspace throughout all the shots. In order to achieve this, we used a lot more downlight that would probably usually be used to make faces look drab and lifeless.
Analysis of learning:
One of the most important lessons I learnt was about the difficulty of shooting between two different camera types. Even though the go pro and the canon where both 1080p the difference in the quality and overall look of the footage was quite jarring when cutting between them. It took a lot of work in order to make it look less jarring. Another important thing is continuity in respect to the environment. As you change shots and shot sizes and have to adjust various props and lighting it can be easy to lose track of what was originally where and this can become very evident when in the editing process. It creates more work for the editor and runs the risk of destroying the viewers emersion.
I think the most strikingly obvious thing that I would do differently next time is make the crosses on things we plan to track a lot smaller. For some reason we all got it in our heads that the crosses needed to be nice and big when in reality this just caused us to spend far more time in post-production trying to find out cover-ups and work arounds. Another thing that proved an issue with our shots was the fact that on many occasions camera and lighting gear was clearly visible in our shots. Although I was completely unaware of this at the time because I wasn’t on camera, I think in the future I would be much more careful to check the camera operators shot whilst setting up lighting because that is a quicker and more efficient way of setting up lighting. Also not having other actors and just casting the crew was another thing that I would not like to do again. It just caused unnecessary stress on the group and especially because one of the days where almost all of us were on camera was quite a long day of filming for various reasons, moral and energy started to run very low. We also had big continuity issues where shots didn’t match up at all in a sequence like they were supposed to.